Friday Feature: Naomi

Who are you and what do you do?
My name is Naomi Buell and I do marketing and business development for VIA Architecture. I also try to make people laugh whenever I get a chance.

What made you decide to go into your field?
I was taking communications at school and found it to be too theoretical and not applicable enough for me and my friend told me she thought I would like business. Once in business I realized that I had always been a marketer, right from my days coming up with slogans for my Kool-Aid stands (No PST, GST or MSG).

What did your family think of your chosen field?
As an only child I think they would have been proud of me no matter what I did. Having recently helped my mom with her business cards and e-mail signature though, I think she is happy I chose marketing. My dad has always encouraged my writing skills so anything that connects me and words together seems to make him happy.

Who is the teacher who had the most influence on you and why?
I had two marketing teachers that taught me so much in University. I later found out that they were actually husband and wife which just seems to make sense. They were both very knowledgeable helpful and encouraging and had the best marketing assignments. My one professor told me “there is no such thing as the general public” which means you can’t market to everyone so you better find out who your target market is. I think about that at least once a week.

What was the biggest hurdle you faced along your educational path? (academic, financial, motivational, family or peer pressure, outside distraction, etc.)
Definitely financial. I mean don’t get me wrong business school is challenging but filling out Student loan forms was way more stressful.

What inspires you?
A good song on a beautiful day.

What schooling is required for success in your career?
I have a degree in business but any degree in marketing or communications gets you off to a good start. I would suggest choosing a school with a co-op program or do an internship as companies will want someone with experience.

What kind of people are the most successful in your field? Are there any specific attributes?
You should be creative and innovative and understand people. Having an eye for design is a great attribute as well.

What is the best advice you were ever given?
I personally am a fan of the secret. Positivity breeds positivity. I truly have found that you can achieve anything that you put your mind to.

Is your field growing? (ie. is there room for new entries and is there career growth?)
There will always be a need for marketing and there are new specializations for social media marketing and that field is certainly growing.

What advice would you give someone considering a career like yours?
Well I may be a little biased but I would say go for it because it is the best career ever. It’s fun, you get to do so many different things and so far I have found that the other people in it, the ones you get to work with are pretty awesome to.