Friday Feature: Artour

Who are you and what do you do?
My name is Artour and I’m a Transit Architect.

What made you decide to go into your field?
My cousin studied architecture and inspired me to become an architect. Originally I wanted to be an artist.

What did your family think of your chosen field?
My family always believed and supported me.

Who is the teacher who had the most influence on you and why?
Vitali Loskutov – A very bright, intelligent and talented practicing architect. He helped me to understand the architect’s role.

What was the biggest hurdle you faced along your educational path? (academic, financial, motivational, family or peer pressure, outside distraction, etc.)
Math, math and math again. I hate it …

What inspires you?
Almost anything may inspire me.

What schooling is required for success in your career?
Attending a School of Architecture (there are only two schools in Russia). In the USSR in the 80’s getting a diploma in architecture gave you the right to call yourself an architect.

What kind of people are the most successful in your field? Are there any specific attributes?
Well… I think business minded people are always more successful in any field.

What is the best advice you were ever given?
I’ve got a lot of them. The situation may measure the real value of advice.

Is your field growing? (ie. is there room for new entries and is there career growth?)
This is the beauty of life – Younger entrants are always coming and become leaders in the field . There is always room for them.

What advice would you give someone considering a career like yours?
No single body of knowledge or expertise defines the Architect – Be prepare to work in challenging environments.