Friday Feature: Agnes

Who are you and what do you do?
Agnes LaPointe, intern architect. Born and raised in Malaysia, got my architectural degree and worked in Canada.

What made you decide to go into your field?
When I was a kid, my mom came home one day and caught me with crayons, with my bedroom walls completely covered with doodles… Guilty.

What did your family think of your chosen field?

You mean you get to draw all day and get paid for it? Cool! At least that’s what they think I do.

Who is the teacher who had the most influence on you and why?
I have tremendous respect for a few of the professors from my architectural school. Their advice still continuously has an influence on my architectural career.

What was the biggest hurdle you faced along your educational path? (academic, financial, motivational, family or peer pressure, outside distraction, etc.)
Learning how to communicate ideas, not just through drawings but also verbally and writing, in English!

What inspires you?
The beauty of life and everything that comes with it, especially my ever growing one year old.

What schooling is required for success in your career?
Two years of engineering prior to, 2 years Bachelor of Environmental Designs + 1 work term inclusive, 2 years of Master of Architecture + 2 work terms inclusive. At the end of it all it is only the beginning of a life long learning of this career.

What kind of people are the most successful in your field? Are there any specific attributes?
Attributes of (Businessman + Artist + Engineer + Accountant) = Architect

What is the best advice you were ever given?
You simply can’t know everything especially in this diverse field. But knowing how or where to get the knowledge and apply it is the key. Knowledge is power.

Is your field growing? (ie. is there room for new entries and is there career growth?)
Just like anything else, supply and demand.

What advice would you give someone considering a career like yours?
Don’t take my word for it, find out for yourself. Go work for an architectural firm, take some courses or visit an architecture school. There is no better way to find out than first hand experience.